M&G Etomi Foundation – Board of Directors
Mr. George Etomi is the Principal Partner of the law firm of George Etomi and Partners and a distinguished transaction lawyer with over 41 years experience in the legal profession. He has garnered a wealth of experience in diverse areas of commercial law cutting across various commercial transactions in the fields of Energy and Natural Resources Law, Aviation Law, Building and Construction Law, Banking and Finance Law, Arbitration, Telecommunications, Legislative Drafting and Competition Law Policy. However, he has narrowed his focus to energy law.
He holds a Bachelor of Laws Degree from the great University of Ife (Now Obafemi Awolowo University – OAU) and a Masters of Laws Degree from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). He was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1977. He completed the Chief Executive Programme offered at the Lagos Business School in 1998.
Throughout his career till date, George has been and continues to be an active member and a leader of the Nigeria Bar Association. He has served in numerous leadership capacities, with the most notable being;
- Member, Body of Benchers – The highest regulatory body of the Legal Profession in Nigeria.
- Fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (FNIALS) – 2013. The Institute named a Centre after him: “The George Etomi Centre for Strategic Investment and Corporate Governance”, and a professorial chair is also endowed in his name at the institute.
- Director, Eko Electricity Distribution PLC in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Pioneer Chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association, Section on Business Law.
- Special Adviser to the International Trade in Legal Services Committee of the Bar Issues Commission of the IBA- this is the Body tasked with reviewing the rules for cross border legal services pursuant to the WTO directive.
- Honorary Membership in the Association of Fellows and Legal Scholars of the Centre for International Legal Studies in Austria, and a member of the Congress of Fellows of the same institution.
- Chairman, Technical Committee on Conference Planning (TCCP) – Nigeria Bar Association (NBA) Annual General Conference 2018.
In 2014, George was conferred with the National Productivity Order of Merit Award for his contribution to the development of law by the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
George is a published author of several articles and newspaper publications including his book titled, ‘An Introduction to Commercial Law in Nigeria’, where he brings to bear his many decades of experience in commercial law practice in Nigeria.
Despite his illustrious professional career, George is actively engaged in philanthropic causes. Together with his identical twin brother, Michael, he co-founded the M&G Etomi Foundation, which is dedicated to providing opportunities and resources to empower the Niger Delta community, especially the youth in breaking the cycle of poverty, which they find themselves in on account of the deterioration of the environment owing to oil and gas activities. In his leisure time, George enjoys travelling with his family and public speaking. He similarly enjoys golfing, tennis, football and squash.
George is happily married to his beautiful wife Efe, a legal practitioner and partner in a leading litigation firm in Nigeria, and their union is blessed with 5 children.